Thursday 29 March 2012

Welcome!

Welcome to this new blog on worldwide classic stamps. Since 1840 postage stamps have provided a insight into the issuing country's culture, politics and economy. The early stamps, like this famous Penny Black, are also frequently quite beautiful miniature compositions.

The easiest way to start collecting stamps is with a worldwide collection, which can be easy and cheap. After a while, the sheer size of issues around the world may overwhelm you. My solution to keeping my collection to a manageable size was to concentrate on the earlier issues, stopping at around the 1930s - or around the time photogravure rather than traditional engraving became commonplace.

A good catalogue is essential, of course, but what I was looking for was something that provided more information on the background of each country's early stamps. As I couldn't find anything that suited me, I decided to create my own resource - and here it is for you to share - and contribute to.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment